cctech Digest, Vol 78, Issue 3

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Feb 5 16:14:15 CST 2010

On 5 Feb 2010 at 17:01, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    8255s are frequently used to interface to IDE drives, and mode
> switching is required in that application, and it does get in the
> way.  Mostly people have dealt with it by using inverters on some of
> the lines.

Really?  I don't think I've seen a single piece of modern gear made
in the last 10 years that uses an 8255 to interface to an IDE drive.
They do have specialized chips to do that...

If it's the hobbyist clan, well, that's a different matter.  I'd
think even a small CPLD would do a better job.

--Chuck