cctech Digest, Vol 78, Issue 3

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 17:15:30 CST 2010

> On 5 Feb 2010 at 17:01, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> >    8255s are frequently used to interface to IDE drives, and mode
> > switching is required in that application, and it does get in the
> > way.  Mostly people have dealt with it by using inverters on some of
> > the lines.
>
> Really?  I don't think I've seen a single piece of modern gear made
> in the last 10 years that uses an 8255 to interface to an IDE drive.
> They do have specialized chips to do that...

An 8255 is a ridiculous choice to interface to an IDE drive!. I've never
seen it used for that either. The IDE card in this machine uses a few TTL
buffers and a couple oF PALs for address decoding, etc.

> If it's the hobbyist clan, well, that's a different matter.  I'd
> think even a small CPLD would do a better job.

This assumes you have the facilities to program the CPLD, the development
software _and somethign to run it on_. That is not always the case.