cctech Digest, Vol 78, Issue 3

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 7 13:23:58 CST 2010

> > As far as I know, you do not live in London (England). So I can't
> > see how
> > you can tell me that PCs are available in the 'local dumpster'/
> >
> > FWIW, dumpster diving is illegal in the UK.
>
>    That's...very weird to me.

I beleive (from what I've read) that it's illegal to dumpster-dive if the
dumpster is on private land in the States.

I beleive that in the UK, stuff in a skip/dumpster is deemed to belong to
whoever owns the dumpster, and that it's technically stealing to remove
it (whether it is stealing to remove it if you put it there in the first
place -- e.g. if you threw somethign out that you didn't mean to -- I
don't know. But knowing our crazy laws I could well believe it is).

I don't know if anyone has ever been convicted under this law, and I am
darn sure that dumpster diving goes on with or without permision. But if
there are no PCs in the skips, it doesn't matter whether it's legal to
take them.