Algol vs Fortran was RE: VHDL vs Verilog

Ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Mon Feb 8 16:05:16 CST 2010

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> Let's see--the last standard revision to FORTRAN was Fortran 2003;
> that to Algol was, what, Algol-68?

Umm I still like Fortran IV. I know you can get II or IV for the PDP8.
Back on topic. The main advantage is Fortran's memory addressing does
not require local variables like Algol type languages.C is in the
middle, stack but not multi level indexing for simple variables.
Only with mini-computer architecture - PDP 11 for example did other
languages develop, other than LISP that never seems to have a practical
form but always R&D type stuff.

> --Chuck

Ben.