Algol vs Fortran was RE: VHDL vs Verilog

N0body H0me n0body.h0me at inbox.com
Mon Feb 8 18:32:10 CST 2010

That's certainly an issue.  I wonder how many applications are slower and more overweight due to their being crafted with OOP than they would be if they were coded using more traditional methods.

Our school didn't have a float point unit on our PDP-11; I was
*certain* that DEC's FORTRAN compiler could generate much faster
code than anything I could bodge together using BASIC (of any stripe),
and I could code it in less time.

My principal fascination with FORTRAN from the beginning, was
that it had this 'purpose built' feature to easily handle complex
math (and it did it quite well, IIRC).  I have great respect for
individuals who insist on purpose-built tools.

-Jeff