Algol vs Fortran was RE: VHDL vs Verilog

N0body H0me n0body.h0me at inbox.com
Mon Feb 8 19:19:04 CST 2010

Point taken: There is only so much you can do to facilitate
portability when such fundamental differences exist.  This
diversity doesn't exist today, and I think we are the worse
for it.  I suspect each of those approaches gave their machines
some advantage or suitability for different tasks.

Today, we just throw more MIPS at our one-cpu-fits-all approach.

> ANSI X3 committee meetings were more like political conventions in
> some respects. I recall that when vector language features were being
> proposed for Fortran 8X (to become Fortran 90), the DEC and IBM
> contingent threatened to walk out of the proceedings because the
> committee decided not to simply assume IBM VECTRAN as its basis.

Sigh.  That's what happens when the focus shifts away from the
science of computing and on to marketing.  I'll never deny marketing's
role in making computing accessible to everyone; but I'm holding
it accountable for seriously messing up good ideas and consigning
them to oblivion because they don't think it will sell.

> It's really amazing that FORTRAN/Fortran is still around.

I think maybe that speaks more of the solidity of the earlier
implementations of that language, rather than 'advances' made
since the PC era.

-Jeff