Anyone with 8" drives , UK ?

Nico de Jong nico at farumdata.dk
Tue Feb 9 05:19:27 CST 2010

From: "Rob" <robert at irrelevant.com>
Subject: Anyone with 8" drives , UK ?

> Hi All.
>

> Recently, I've been setting up www.viewdata.org.uk to try and remember
> and resurrect as much of the old BT Prestel and other period viewdata
> systems as I can.

> anyway... I've found somebody that has an archive of their pages from
> Prestel, and we'd both liketo get them up on the site.  The snag, for
> me, is that a lot of it is on 8" discs, from a Technologics(?) system.
> The photographs of the discs I have seen show them labelled as 48tpi,
> soft sectored.
>
> So. Is there anybody in the UK (Birmingham or Manchester areas)

Would Denmark be ok, "worst case" ?

> that
> has facilities to read 8" discs and drop the contents (straight sector
> by sector image would be fine if it's not in a common format) onto
> some more modern media?
>
> Failing all that.. anybody got a spare drive that I might be able to
> link up to a machine I do have?  (PCs and Acorn machines).

I have some drives, but hooking it up to a modern PC is not easily done.
Ideally, you would find e.g. a '486 and a MicroSolutions IV card.
For the 8" drive (at least the ones I have), you need a +24VDC for the
motor, and the power connectors can be a problem. I have 3 or 4 drives,
and all connectors are different...

If you dare sending the disks by registered mail or courier, I'd be
happy to give it a try.

Nico