Algol vs Fortran was RE: VHDL vs Verilog

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Feb 9 13:21:39 CST 2010

On Feb 9, 2010, at 2:09 PM, Ben wrote:
>>> PS. The only small portable compiler I can find
>>> is Small C - version 1.0.
>>
>> For the iapx432 ?
>>
> no... for a small machine Z80/6809 ect. Hmm time to change the
> subject line.
> How did that work back then to get software created for a new machine?
> 8080's had PLM compiled on a VAX or something along the same lines.

   Cross-assemblers too.  There was a very nice suite of cross-
assemblers that ran on PDP-11s under RT-11 and targeted many
different microprocessors.  That cross-assembler suite was later
ported to UNIX and now lives on in many embedded toolchains, not the
least of which is SDCC.

   Speaking of SDCC...if you're looking for a good Z80 C compiler, it
does target that architecture, among others.  It's mature, quite
popular and has a quick development pace.  Its primary target is the
mcs51 architecture, but it supports several others.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL