The value of assembler language programmers [was RE: Algol vs Fortran was RE: VHDL vs Verilog]

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Tue Feb 9 22:07:04 CST 2010

A big advantage of RISC is that the compiler can optimize code in some very serious, low-level ways that just aren't possible with a CISC ISA.  The granularity is simply smaller, allowing a good compiler to hoist loads, anticipate latencies and in many respects take into account the strengths and weaknesses of the individual processor.  -- Ian