HP-IB, Amigo/cs80 was Re: hp 9153 floppy & disk

e.stiebler emu at e-bbes.com
Mon Feb 15 15:57:04 CST 2010

Tony Duell wrote:

> I don't think you could fit all the logic to implement CS/80 or Amigo
> protocol in any sensible FPGA. I think it can be done in a modern
> microcontroller.

I can fit it in, for development. I made some FPGA board for myself,
simply because I think they are more flexible.
So, I just have to wire up the 7516x drivers, and can start debugging.
Yes, I intend to put a sfot cpu in it, so I can use standard toolchains
for the software

> In any case 'I have a board with the chip on' is IMHO a ridiculous reason
> for picking a particular clase of device. Given that the microcontroller
> solution should be only 4 or 5 devices, and that I would press for these
> to be in 'prototypable packages' (DIL, PLCC, etc), I would think you
> could hand-wire the hardware in an hour or so.

As I said before, I have them here, because I made them for this purpose.

And I don't have a problem believing that you can wrap up a whole cpu
board faster than I do ;-)

Cheers