HP-IB, Amigo/cs80 was Re: hp 9153 floppy & disk

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 15 22:54:14 CST 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 11:40 PM, Keith M wrote:
>>> Talk to the old grouchy hams about adding no-code tech ham radio
>>> licenses on your local repeater, if you want your ear beat for
>>> 1/2 hour.
>>   ...but not here.  No-code Tech licenses have made 2m sound like
>> the CB of the 1970s.
>
> I guess this must be a regional thing.  I haven't heard any
> problems locally on 2m or 440 over the last few years.  While I'm
> admittedly spotty in how often I pop on and listen, I haven't heard
> a single episode of CB-like behavior.  No cursing, everyone using
> callsigns, seems ok to me.

   I saw a big spike in bad behavior when the requirement was
dropped, both in MD and FL. I've not had a radio turned on in about
two years, perhaps people are behaving a bit better now, but I don't
have high hopes.  CW was the one thing keeping ham radio from
becoming "CB with a gazillion 'channels' and a huge power limit".

> The US was about five years behind Int'l community in dropping the
> requirement.

   I think it was a bad idea for the int'l community too. ;)

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL