[comp.sys.dec] BASIC-Plus-2

Nigel Williams nigel.d.williams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 20:17:29 CST 2010

On Tue Feb 16 11:56:45 CST 2010, Dave McGuire wrote:
>  That's it...worked like a champ.

Thank you Dave, that worked for me too; applying your tips might now
allow us to try some of the other layered products (C and COBOL -
although I notice the C TAP has a AUTOIN.COM file for auto-install so
I suppose we invoke that, much like the F77 install).

I used BP2 V2.6, only because I understood that version was intended
for RSTS/E V9.6 - I will try BP2 V2.7 and see if it is stable on V9.6.
I am still to discover which of the TAPs of RSTS/E V9.7 are worth
trying.

One surprise I encountered though on rebooting RSTS/E, BASIC/BP2
throws an error:

$ basic/bp2
?Unable to attach to resident library
?Can't find file or account

I fixed this by executing these two commands (found in BP2INS.CMD):

$ INSTALL/LIBRARY/NOADDRESS B26SHR
$ INSTALL/LIBRARY/NOADDRESS B26SH1

Then $ BASIC/BP2 works again.

So it is usual RSTS/E practice to add the install/library commands to
[0,1]START.COM to "permanently" add the layered product to RSTS/E? I
expected the install process to do this for me.