VMware appliances

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 17 12:54:36 CST 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 12:55 PM, John Foust wrote:
> As for real devices connecting to emulators and VMs, it is true
> that the workstation environments let you connect to that machine's
> USB or other devices, but ESXi doesn't even talk to the USB on the
> host computer (although it's a bug).  Instead, people are using
> USB to Ethernet adapters that speak TCP/IP with a driver running
> inside the VM.

   ESXi does real-device passthrough nicely for SCSI host
adapters...I set that up just last night on a customer's machine; a
tape drive is now accessible from a VM.  I've not needed USB
yet...what release(s) does that bug affect, do you know offhand?  Is
there any workaround to allow USB device access?

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL