OT: white LEDs

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.de
Mon Feb 22 18:40:38 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 05:56:43PM -0500, Curt @ Atari Museum wrote:
> Nice!!!       Definitely should see those nationwide, its ashame they
> cost so much which I mean - they are LED's, they are a couple of cents
> each, its this all profit gouging on Green Products???

A couple of cents? Yeah, for the small low power (<< 1 W) ones you use
for indicators in electronics or christmas tree lights. The high power
stuff is still rather pricey. While I've no doubt that the manufacturers
are milking every cent of profit they can, those _aren't_ that cheap or
easy to produce, otherwise every semiconductor fablet in china would
make them by the barrel.

Also, make no mistake, the "green" aspect takes a second (or third) seat
to more important aspects when deploying LED for things like traffic
signs and such. Especially for traffic sings, while the LED versions
most likely are significantly more expensive than incandescents, they
are big money savers in maintenance (getting someone up with a ladder to
change bulbs every once in a while ain't that cheap, especially in
places like Switzerland where there _is_ no dirt cheap labor) and
operating costs (power bills). The reduced power consumption of course
lends itself to being toutet as "greener" ;-)

Regards,
       Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison