OT: white LEDs

Randy Dawson rdawson16 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 22 21:20:31 CST 2010

I think Luxeon still has the high mark in the industrial high power LED market.  When these first came out, 6 years ago they were truly amazing, 1 amp LEDs!  Integral thermal pad on the back for heatsinking.  In the dark, you could hold a 35mm slide in front of one, 6" away and get a sharp bright image in the wall, as its almost a point source.

If you look at one in the microscope, it looks like an LED with some sort of phosphor painted over the semiconductor.  Is that how these things work, its really a high efficency IR LED, with a phosphor doubler to bring the wavelength into visible?  Just speculating...

I was using them in a ring light for a downhole well camera.  Not that expensive, about $6 each.

Randy