OT: white LEDs

Mark Tapley mtapley at swri.edu
Tue Feb 23 17:51:01 CST 2010

At 12:00 -0600 2/23/10, Randy wrote:
>If you look at one in the microscope, it looks like an LED with some
>sort of phosphor painted over the semiconductor.  Is that how these
>things work, its really a high efficency IR LED, with a phosphor
>doubler to bring the wavelength into visible?  Just speculating...

	There are a few crystals that can double frequency (halve
wavelength, thereby *increasing* the energy per photon). I think
these are used in laser ranging, to bring a powerful IR laser beam up
into the visible so it'll transmit better through the atmosphere.
	I think no phosphors can do that. They can bring frequency
*down* (ie absorb an ultraviolet photon, emit 2 visible or one
visible and one IR or some combination). In fact, I don't recall ever
hearing of a device that can do that with non-coherent light (well,
as direct conversion). The problem is trying to gather 2 low-energy
photons into a single high-energy photon. That turns out to be tough
to do in general.
	There are phosphors that can be "pumped" by blue or UV light,
then stimulated to re-emit visible light when IR photons hit them. (I
think the Germans made IR goggles this way in WWII.)

--
						- Mark     210-379-4635
Large Asteroids headed toward planets

				Think of it as Evolution in Fast-Forward.