desoldering problems and technique (and amiga 2000 mod)

Brian Lanning brianlanning at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 12:31:19 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are interested in them, you can get them from me ;-)    I
> purchased the design from the creator when he graduated from college
> and turned them out under the name "GG2 Bus+" (to distance myself from
> the confusion from the original name).  I still have them in stock,
> but demand softened precipitously after C= went under.

What do you want for one?

Although I probably can't use it at the moment since I have a 286
bridgeboard.  It would still be nice to play with one.

> Essentially, there's drivers for IDE disks (yawn),
>10BaseT networking
> (popular), serial and parallel (occasionally used in the days of
> dialup and local printers).

IDE is a bigger deal now than you might think.  I have a buddha board
which is basically an IDE controller in a zorro 2 slot.  Works great.
But if you could package one of your bridge boards with a throw-away
generic ide/port combo board, a network board, and a driver disk, (you
should throw in a compact flash to IDE adapter also) I bet you'd get
quite a few takers on the amiga boards.  10baseT on the 2000 is not so
cheap these days either. The ability to read/write to high density
floppy drives from that ide controller would be welcome too.

Could you auto-boot the ide disk?

>  There's also support in at least one
> DOS-oriented PC emulator (someone used it to talk to an FM tuner card
> and an EPROM programmer).  The hardware supports VGA interfaces, but
> the low bandwidth and a few other things made it a non-starter.

That's too bad.  Desktop resolution and that horizontal scan rate, I
think, are the amiga's Achilles' heal. Although NTSC/PAL comparability
is what made the amiga so popular with the video houses.

> There's also some cacheing issues with Zorro-II space and most/all of
> the 68060 cards, so people who were maxing out their Amigas at the end
> were essentially not able to use this product.

Anyone with a 68060 processor board is likely to have a mediator
anyway, which means PCI slots.

brian