desoldering problems and technique (and amiga 2000 mod)

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Jan 12 03:09:49 CST 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:02:22 +0000 (GMT)
ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:

> So, considering that the smoke that comes off when I solder is mostly
> flux, I guess I am safer sticking to the old leaded solder.
You need lead free / RoHS certified components to use with lead free
solder. You can not mix leaded with unleaded solder. So you need
different tips for your soldering iron to prevent contamination.
Unleaded solder needs higher temeratures also. I.e. if you repair
older, leaded electronics you must use leaded solder. So most likely it
will take an other 10 years until we hit this problem in this mailing
list. ;-)
--

tschüß,
       Jochen