Collections, was: Be careful handling computer racks

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 13 21:51:41 CST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 9:52 PM, Jerome H. Fine wrote:
>> The other risk is: maybe it's not your spouse taking care of this
>> task.  Since we're already into the depressing subject: what if
>> you and your spouse are both killed in an accident?  If you have a
>> well-written will that states your intentions, it's hard to
>> override.  But if your wishes are being carried around in his/her
>> head... it may be a family member who never "got it" or even a
>> completely clueless bureaucrat who disposes of your priceless
>> collection.
>> What my wife has asked for - as alluded to in that woodworker's
>> sig :-) - is an inventory with approximate values, Just In Case.
>> I told her it won't be enough to keep her in style, so I'm not
>> worth killing off.
>>
> Have any of you actually tried to dispose of your collections NOW?
> If you can't dispose of you collection yourself, how do you expect
> anyone else to do so?
>
> I have a reasonable collection of Qbus PDP-11 systems, but there no
> longer seems to be any interest, especially in the RL01 / RL02 drives
> and packs.
>
> I am in Toronto.  Within 6 months, I must dispose of this stuff or
> it will have to go to the dumpter.  Is anyone interested?

   I'm interested.  I drove hundreds of miles for an RL02 drive not
long ago.  Toronto, however...I'd not want to do that drive!

   My point is, don't just *assume* nobody wants them.  I know
several people who are looking for RL drives right now.  They don't
exactly grow on trees...dumpstering them would be a crime.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL