Be careful handling computer racks

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 13:06:38 CST 2010

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:57:16 +0000 (GMT)
> ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:
>
> > I am not at all convincced about that. People have a wonderful=20
> > self-repair system, classic computers tend not to. I'd rather suffer a=20
> > major injory than loose an irreplaceable classic computer...
> Tony. This self-repair system can't repair everything. If you lost a

True...

> limb, or if you got blinded, it will be for ever. You will not be able
> to work on classic computers without hands or eyesight.

Well, it depends on the limb... I would see no difficulty in doing a lot
of classic computer work in a wheelchair (although how I would fit a
wheelchair around my collection is another matter). And having had to do
a num,ber of tasks one-handed (becuase the other hand is in use for
something else at the time), I think I'd find it inconvenient to loose
one arm, not totally impossible. And of course it would make no
difference to working on high voltage stuff :-)

As regards eyesight, yes, i regard that as very important. But I am more
likely to damage my eyes wen making up some part for a classic computer,
rather then when moving said computer. But I seem to recall reading about
bind people who could solder, desolder, etc. I'd rather not have to
re-learn said skills, but...