Computer speed over time [Was: Re: PDP-8/L value]

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Tue Jan 19 10:02:12 CST 2010

At 02:38 AM 1/19/2010, David Griffith wrote:
>>I am regularly offered 2+GHz Pentium-4 machines because it has gotten around that I'm into "vintage computing".  Scary.
>
>What kind of people offer such machines?

People who think the easiest route to a new OS and 2 or 4 gigs of RAM is
a new computer, as opposed to paying premium prices for big sizes of
last-gen and last-last-gen RAM.

When the cost of upgrading and/or a repair is half the cost of a new
computer, many choose the new computer.  The old one heads for the dust bin.

- John