Altair 680 power supply...

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Tue Jan 19 07:28:52 CST 2010

On Tuesday (01/19/2010 at 03:34AM -0500), Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2010, at 5:00 PM, Chris Elmquist wrote:
>> Is it fair (as in rational, smart, non-stupid) to put multiple 7805 in
>> parallel?  Can't say I've ever seen that done.  Only the more typical
>> design of adding a pass transistor to carry more current.
>
>   What about balancing problems?  They won't be identical from part to
> part..

Then that means only one of them carries most of the current...  True.

I've had very few power supply failures in my life but those that I
have had, were shorted 2N3055's used as pass transistors around 78xx
regulators.  So, I have grown to not appreciate that approach either.

Chris

--
Chris Elmquist