VSV11 on pdp11, was : Re: OLPC [Was: Something completelydifferent]

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:06:06 CST 2010

From: "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:52 PM
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: VSV11 on pdp11, was : Re: OLPC [Was: Something
completelydifferent]

> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
>
>> I'm curious though, what software took advantage of the VSV11?
>
> I know support exists for RSX-11M+, but that is about all I know.
>
> I have one 3rd party PDP-11 video card, and while most likely have RSX-11M
> software for it, I lack the means to actually hook it up to anything (or
> anything to hook it up to).
>
> Zane

Yes, memories are coming back.
The 11/23+ to which the VSV11 was hooked up ran RSX-11M+.
Later I regretted giving the system away. I never got a copy of RSX-11M+.

The system also had a DEC-made joystick with 2 push buttons on top,
one at each side (left and right) of the joystick. I still have that
joystick,
but it is in bad shape. The covers over the push buttons are badly worn.
The VSV was connected to a heavy BARCO monitor (metal housing)
with R-G-B BNC connectors.
The system was used for typesetting and graphics design work in a
company that printed (offset press using ink) customer envelopes.

- Henk.