VSV11 on pdp11

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 14:30:33 CST 2010

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 09:40:52PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > The VS11 and VSV11 are graphic subsystems for the Unibus and Qbus
> > (the VS11 is a VSV11 and a bus adapter, ISTR).
>
> I have what I think is called a VTV or VMV (consists of M7066, M7067,
> M7068 and possibly something I don't remember). The M7066 is a UNIBUS to
> Qbus converter. It fits in one 11/34 box and ran a system called
> GAMMA-11. I think it might only be a vector system, do you know anything
> about it?

I repaired a DEC GAMMA-11 many years ago. The name comes from the fact
that it was used with a medical imaging camera (I assume using gamma
rays), the place I repaired it for was the vet. department of a university.

>From what I remember, it was a 11/34 processor with a VS60 grpahics board
set in it. It also had an RL11 linked to a couple of drives (that was the
bit I had to repair, sorry, so I didn't get to investigate any of the
'interesting' hardware). There was certainly a DW11 Unibus to Q-bus
interface, and some special Qbus cards to link to the camera. IIRC, there
awas a 5.25" BA11 with 2 4-slot hex backplanes in it, one Unibus, the
other Qbus. Confused me for a few minutes when I first saw it.