OS/2 (was Re: Museums)

Lance Lyon lance.w.lyon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:19:04 CST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org]
On Behalf Of Josh Dersch
Sent: Tuesday, 26 January 2010 10:48 AM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: OS/2 (was Re: Museums)

> It occurs to me that OS/2 is one of the OSes I have yet to spend an
> appreciable amount of time with that I keep meaning to (another
> example being VMS...)

> Where would you guys suggest starting if I wanted to get a good feel
> for it?  (what versions,  what hardware, what fun software to play
> around with...)

> Heck, where would one get a legit copy of this these days?

Warp 4 (Warp 3 at a pinch) for the original, else you can by eComStation at
http://www.ecomstation.com/

Warp turns up regularly at eBay

As far as hardware, it isn't too demanding and will run on most modern PC's
- drivers aren't such a big issue as there are generics available.

My Warp 4.52 box is a 233MHz Pentium with 64mb RAM and an 8gb drive - more
than sufficient for the task!

For software, go to Hobbes - http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/

OS/2 still remains my one of my favourite OS's to this day.

Cheers,

Lance Lyon
http://www.ferriesofsydney.com
http://www.savethebaragoola.com