Atari/Commodore hybrid, was Re: General religious wars (was Re: Editor religious wars)

Curt @ Atari Museum curt at atarimuseum.com
Sat Jan 30 16:51:42 CST 2010

Also, the fact that Atari used the same format/fat scheme as standard
IBM disks, with just some minor nuances which in later versions of TOS
made it fully compatible, this was a God send, since it allowed
sneaker-net exchanging of data between PC's and ST's and with low cost,
simple upgrades like ATSPEED, which allowed a simple daughterboard
install, gave ST's full speed IBM compatibilty, and having PC compatible
floppies was the icing on the cake.

What was truly the ST's major flaw was its display, while obviously a
huge improvement for its time of 85', once the Amiga and Apple Mac II
computers hit the scene with far higher resolutions and deeper on-screen
at the same time color palletes, the ST's really began to lag.    This
was further compounded by the very slow introduction of upgrades to the
Atari TOS, small incremental changes were made, while the Amiga OS and
especially the Mac OS made large, noticable jumps in their features...
this further hindered the ST's which quickly lost their polish and shine
in the competing marketplace.

Curt