17" CRT - Worth Keeping?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 13:25:12 CDT 2010

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Tony Duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > 2) It does something that modern monitors don't (supports a particular
> > scan rate, for example)
>
> I much agree.  A few monitors out there support scan rates down to
> 15khz.  These work on amigas and are highly sought after.  The NEC 3D
> was an example iirc.  So check the specs before you trash them.

FWIW, a lot of current UK LCD (and I assume plasma) TVs have RGB inputs
at TV rates (15.625kHz horizonatal in the UK) onthe SCART socket. I
assume those will work with older computers expecting a TV-rate monitor,
although how good the quality would be I don't know.

But then I'm keeping a number of old CRT TV-rate-only monitors for my
classics too. My favourite is a delta-gun CRT unit made by Barco. It's
built like a tank, everything is on separate plug-in boards (3 separate
boards for the RGB amplifiers, a sync separatoe board, horizontal output,
EHT generator, horixontal defleciton, vertical deflectiuon and output,
convergence, and half a doze boards in the PSU -- and that's just the
ones I rememebr). Oh, and you get an exztender board clipped inside...

Fortunately I have the 'user' manual. It's got one page telling you how
to use the brightness and video gain controls. a few more pages on how
to rack-mount the unit. Then setup instructions. And finally many pages
of schematics, theory of operation and waveforms. That's the sort of user
manual I like :-)