Serial interfaces (was Re: Any former Psion 5 owners out there?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Jul 20 16:24:54 CDT 2010

I have to confess that when I design a standalone microcontroller
project, the interface almost always is RS232.  Most uCs have UART
functionality with data rates up to at least 250Kbps.  I don't have
to fool with complicated protocols and the interface is very useful
for debugging.  MAX232s or their equivalent are cheap and easy to
use.

RS232 means that I can hook it to just about anything.

I've got a pile of USB->RS232 adapters for those crippled systems
that can speak only USB of some flavor.

--Chuck