Serial interfaces

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 12:49:52 CDT 2010

> On 21 July 2010 00:28, John Foust <jfoust at threedee.com> wrote:
> > At 11:16 AM 7/20/2010, Liam Proven wrote:
> >>All fair points, but then, who ever used serial ports to connect mass
> >>storage? (I know there was a serial port hard disk for the first ever
> >>Mac, but that was from complete lack of any alternative.)
> >
> > I can think of the Commodore 64- 1541 drive
>
> Um, that wasn't any relative of RS422, RS423, RS232 or anything akin

No, but it most certainly was a bit-serial interface. As, for that
matter, is USB. And HPIL (which was used for at least one mass storage
device, and is logically related to a bit-serial version of HPIB).

If you mean a serial interface using RS232 levels, then at least on this
list it's best to say so. Do you insist that it's asynchronous, or are
synchonous RS232 interfaces included (IIRC the RML480Z used one for its
floppy disk system)

> to it, was it? I thought it was some serialised variant of an IEEE
> interface, as used on the PET machines...
>
> > and the external floppy drive
> > for the Tandy Model 100.
>
> This one I didn't know about, but Tandy machines were never very big
> this side of the Atlantic. /Way/ too expensive for most Brits.

Err, considering there was a shop selling them on just about every high
street, I asusme some people (other than me) actually bought them.