Anyone off to VCF-UK

Philip Pemberton classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
Tue Jun 1 15:58:02 CDT 2010

On 29/05/10 18:07, Tony Duell wrote:
> And if you ever try to calibrate an oven thermostat you will find those
> figures bear absolutely no relationship to any normal temperature scale.

I've got a "Cookworks" mini-oven (which came from Argos, natch). At the
250C setting, it heated up to almost 300C before the bimetal thermostat
tripped. 525 seconds from room temperature (25C or so) to 300C, for a
thermal gradient of 1.75 Celsius per second.

Put it this way: it makes a good SMD soldering oven (google for Kenneth
Maxon's article on the subject in the Seattle Robotics Society
newsletter, "Encoder")...

One of these days I'll put a proper temperature control on it. And add
some thermal insulation to the door and handle section -- it gets bloody
hot! Might improve the thermal gradient a bit (though it really only
needs to be ~1C/sec once the oven cavity is warm).

--
Phil.
classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
http://www.philpem.me.uk/