Lightbulb police? (was RE: Anyone off to VCF-UK)

Keith M keithvz at verizon.net
Fri Jun 4 10:55:55 CDT 2010

On 6/4/2010 11:36 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:

> The system's not *quite* in balance, because the majority of US stores
> insist on packing your purchases for you, and use *far* more bags than
> they need to; if I were allowed and expected to pack stuff myself here
> (as I was in the UK), I think I could probably re-use as much as I took
> home with me.

The majority of the major chain stores here in Pittsburgh have newer
"convenient" self-checkout isles and have drastically reduced the number
of clerks and baggers(which has a direct negative influence on the local
job market).  As a result, 90% of the people have to do their own bagging.

How shifting the burden of trouble and work from their paid employees to
the customer is somehow more convenient for the customer, I'll never
know.  I make it a point to use the clerks whenever possible --- let
them ring up the items and bag it.  I guarantee any payroll savings goes
directly in the pockets of the owner, instead of reducing the price that
I pay for the food.  Now if you want to compensate me a couple percent
off my total by doing the work myself, I might be more inclined to use them.

Keith