yet another pdp-8 in a fpga, but this time running tss/8

Keith M keithvz at verizon.net
Tue Jun 8 16:13:34 CDT 2010

On 6/8/2010 4:32 PM, Henk Gooijen wrote:

> Following this FPGA thread with much interest. I have a XESS board
> for some 3 years now, and still haven't really started to build up some
> knowledge! One of the projects I should get started on ... too many
> loose ends that await some time. Almost set for being QRV on HF.

Henk,

I think I've seen those XESS boards before.  Don't remember where, maybe
advertised in circuit cellar or nuts and volts.  Their website seems
pretty goofy and for the most part doesn't work for me in firefox, so
I'm not sure.

I've enjoyed learning about digital logic and FPGAs.  There is a fair
bit to know.  I've found verilog pretty straight forward to pickup.
Once I get a better handle on it, I'll probably try my hand at VHDL as well.

The Spartan 3E board I bought has a bunch of connectors, and built-in
support chips.

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Prod=S3EBOARD

I've been working on a USB external amiga floppy drive controller for
the PC.  Read and create emulator .ADF images from floppies using a
standard PC 3.5" drive.  I first used a Parallax microcontroller, and
then recently switched to an FPGA solution.  Both work now.

http://techtravels.org/amiga/amigablog/

Keith