OT Marilyn Levine

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Wed Jun 9 17:48:12 CDT 2010

On 6/9/10 2:54 PM, Tom Peters wrote:
> Those who might know Len Levine, this was forwarded to me by Dave
> Rasmussen.
>
>> Hi Everyone:
>>
>> I regret to inform you that Marilyn Levine ( Len's wife) passed away
>> last saturday. She had been hospitalized for about a week. As you know,
>> both Len and Marilyn were associated with UWM for a long time.
>>
>> Best,
>> kv
>>
>> PS; Please share this with your friends you think may know Marilyn.
>
> I was a volunteer operator on the TSS/8 system at UWM from the summer
> before my fresheman year in 1978 until they replaced it with a Vax. Len
> spotted me in his intro comp sci class on the first day of my freshman
> year and grabbed my schedule, wrote a course number on it, signed it,
> and said, "You don't need to be here- go take the languages class." And
> the rest is history. I continued to interact with him in various ways
> for the next 15 years, well beyond my college days. I still hear from,
> or about, him. I owe a lot to him and I'm very sorry his life-long
> companion has been taken from him.

Lenny and Marilyn have been close friends of mine for over 35 years.
I was in Milwaukee last summer, and made sure I had lunch with both of them.

Both were professors the the U, Len in EECS, and Marilyn in LIS.
She had a long career in computerized reference research, and had one of
the first independent research services ("The Look It Up Lady") in the
late 70's, doing research queries onto the big timesharing data bases.

In June, 1987, she was one of the founders of the Association of Independent
Information Professionals

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ColRDd6pCaYJ:www.aiip.org/AboutAIIP+%22marilyn+levine%22+independent+research&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a