Iomega Bernoulli Box 20+20 (A220H)

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Wed Jun 30 20:01:55 CDT 2010

I rescued one of these ancient Bernoulli boxes today.  It uses the large
  (8") cartridges at 20MB each, and it has two slots for the cartridges.

Other than for hearing some of the folklore about the drives, I don't
know much about it.  I'd like to see it run and be usable, but I need
some help.

- Is it SCSI?  If so, what's the pinout on the back?  It has a 37 pin
female connector that I'm not familiar with if it is SCSI.

- Where is the head mechanism?  Is it fairly robust and protected if
there are no cartridges inserted?  This one has no major dents, but it
has not been babied either.  I don't want to waste time on it if it's
just going to be a heartache.  (I have enough of that already.)

- Cartridges look like they are on eBay.  They are cheap enough for me
to experiment with.

- Is there anything I should know about these beasts before I attempt
powering on and working with it?

Thanks,
Mike