semi-OT: do you routinely attempt projects out of your comfort zone?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Mar 8 16:28:25 CST 2010

On 8 Mar 2010 at 16:19, Ray Arachelian wrote:

> I'd be very happy.Recently the tiles in my kitchen
> started to rise and the grout from the sides started to loosen free.
> That's the next project.  I've no idea how to fix them, but
> researching that now.  The hard part is I don't have any more spares,
> and since they're so old the home depot will have non-matching ones.
> So if I can figure out how to completely loosen them out without
> (they're still sticking though somewhat wiggling)  :-)   Hey, if
> you've any ideas on how to fix'em or why they'd start rising up, I'm
> all ears.

Do you live in house built on a concrete slab foundation, with the
tiles attached to the slab?  It sounds as if you do.  The remedy is
to take all of the tiles up,  Clean (and patch if necessary) the
slab, seal it (probably wasn't done originally) and go from there
with the proper mortar for the tile.  You might as well buy new tile
while you're at it, since you're not going to get all of the original
tiles up in one piece anyway.

I won't do things that I clearly don't have sufficient experience
for.  When I put solid oak floors in the house, I had no problem with
laying the flooring (or any of the other woodworking or ceramic
tile), but when it came to sanding, I called in a professional.  Too
many DIY sanding jobs require a dose of dramamine on the part of the
viewer.

--Chuck