semi-OT: do you routinely attempt projects out of your comfort zone?

Andrew Burton aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 13:49:37 CST 2010

Considering that I have never been on a programming course and have entirely
tought myself from books and examining code, I would say that I mostly stick
to what I know and only learn new stuff (coding techniques, new languages
etc.) when I have to. In the last 5 years that includes compression (LZW and
RTE/RLE), complements (2, 9 and 10), the .BMP format (urgh, why have it all
upside down and back to front deliberately!), BCD numbers, CSV files and
various other things.
I admit I don't like learning new languages, because it is a lot of hassle
in the beginning. Once I have mastered the basics it does become alot easier
and much more fun. I usually have a programming manual sat beside me to
remind me of syntax and to look-up commands that I know exist but can't
remember the exact name of (AMOS Basic/AMOS Pro for the Amiga has around
1000 official commands, plus around 1000 more commands made by AMOS
enthusiasts).[1] Motorola 68000 ASM was very easy to pick up and understand,
but I am still learning techniques to make my code more efficient :)

I learnt the in's and out's of Windows from the beta version of Windows '95
whilst at work experience in 1995, a bit more whilst doing a DTP course in
1997/8 (which got me my NVQ level 2 in computers) and the rest I have picked
up from various versions of Windows used at work. Though I have learnt about
the workings of Windows (registry and executables) from my own experiences
with my laptop, which I got in Feb 2007.

Regards,
Andrew B
aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk

[1] Don't confuse AMOS (Amiga OS), written by Francios Lionet for Mandarin
Software/Europress, with the other AMOS which I have seen mentioned on this
list.