Solid State Disk replacement for RD53, 54, RK05, RL02/02

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Thu Mar 11 10:19:47 CST 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>> It's been a few years since I priced small runs of through-hole-heavy
>> Qbus boards, but our Qbus COMBOARD was 4 layer, had the usual amount
>> of gold fingers, and *bare* cost us $500 *each* in short runs.  We put
>> our own handles on them.  I still have the foot-powered rivet press
>> and (somewhere) bags of suitable rivets.
>>
>> PCB manufacture is cheaper than it was when we started doing 4 and 6
>> layer boards, but that sort of price is why we stopped making certain
>> models of boards when the PCB stack ran out - too expensive to make a
>> short run and not enough customer demand for a large run.
>
>  It's a LOT cheaper now than it was then, and the price drops substantially when you order a big pile of boards.  For my last run of boards, qty. 1 pricing was about $35/ea, qty. 25 was about $12.50/ea, and qty. 100 was less than six bucks.
>
>  And no (Guy!) I'm not talking about junk box parts, but I don't just up and order everything from DigiKey either.  I paid about ten dollars for over 5000 0.1uF 0805 bypass caps a year ago by buying partial reels.  Smart shopping gets low-volume production run quantities of parts very affordably, and they're pretty much always available.

Passives are not an issue.  The assembly house supplies them as part of the assembly fee.  Even if they didn't, I'd pay them for it - I don't want to deal with parts that I have a hard time seeing much less handling.  FPGAs, level shifters (or more appropriately 5v tolerant LVTTL transceivers), LVDO regulators, etc. cost $$s no matter who you buy from (and I order from a lot of different suppliers).  I also design using readily available (ie in production) parts (the only exception are the unibus transceivers and I go on the secondary market for those and typically can only buy in lots of what's available...ie if somebody has 350 parts for $7/ea, that's what I get...yes I have a lot of $'s tied up in various inventory).

TTFN - Guy