RGB-VGA Converter -- buy or build?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sun Mar 14 14:37:26 CDT 2010

As previously discussed in this list, and documented on
http://www.oldskool.org/pc/cgacal , CGA monitors have circuitry to
change color index #6 to a different color.  CGA also has a fourth
"intensity" pin.  Does anyone know if some sort of specially-wired cable
might be able to convert 4-pin RGBI to something these kinds of
converters can take as input and everything will still look decently?

I ask because I have a need to do video capture of native CGA output.
Don't ask :-)

The best solution I've come up with is to use an older VGA card (1990 or
before) that comes with utilities to force it into CGA emulation --
forces 400 scandoubled lines, forces the 8x8 font, and ports react
properly to MC6845 writes.  This is 95% of the way there, but it's still
a 70Hz refresh rate, not 60.  All ideas welcome.