Booting a VAXstation

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 18:08:24 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM, js at cimmeri.com <js at cimmeri.com> wrote:

> Subject:
> Booting a VAXstation
> From:
> Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>
> Date:
> Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:20:19 +0000
> To:
> "General Discussion: On-Topic Posts Only" <cctech at classiccmp.org>
> To:
> "General Discussion: On-Topic Posts Only" <cctech at classiccmp.org>
>
> I have a VAXstation 3100 model 38 I bought on eBay for the princely
> sum of £0.99. Sadly it came without disks and I have no wide-SCSI
> disks of <1GB.
>
> Hi, Liam.
>
>   First thing to do is find yourself a copy of the manual for the machine as you can do a bunch of stuff with it just from built in diagnostics..   I seem to recall them being out on the web.. possibly here:
>
>  http://deathrow.vistech.net/~cvisors/DEC94MDS/

Thanks for the tip. I did actually get the original owners' manual
with this machine - and a couple of mice, a keyboard & a 17" mono
screen. Just no disks/sleds/cables or anything. :¬(

> I know Antonio Carlini had a site with lots of nice docs too.. but my link is dead.
>
> Also check out older posts where people were in the same boat.. such as:
>
> http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2004-December/036556.html

Very helpful... thanks!

> My machine came with a TZ30 drive, an RD54 CD, and hard disk all internally... mine's the M48..same as yours but with bigger case.
>
> You might need a special cable for the external SCSI.. as its got a funny connector on the computer end.  I found one on ebay.

I might be able to improvise one - I have a lot of SCSI cables. I used
to run a lot of SCSI kit, although almost none is left now. A whole
pile of it went to a collector off this very list, in fact... (Hi,
Rod!)

> For hard drives, I found that I had to experiment with different ones.. not all would work (even if under 1gb).   Most did, however.
>
> Enjoy,
>   John Singleton

It will be a learning experience!

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com