Origin of RT-11 emulation on RSTS

John A. Dundas III dundas at caltech.edu
Wed Mar 17 15:04:26 CDT 2010

I've wondered this for a long time and maybe someone here can shed some light.

Back in 1975-76 I was using the PDP-11 and Oregon Museum of Science
and Industry (OMSI) and they had a thing called "OMSI RT" on their
system.  It was an RT-11 run time system (RTS) under RSTS.  They were
selling V1A for $2350 a copy (I still have a copy of the on-line help
file giving the information).

The product ran the Fortran compiler, MACRO, Pascal, etc., as the
later RT-11 environment from DEC did.  OMSI RT claimed compatibility
with RT-11 V2 and also required a DEC binary license for both RSTS
(V5B or later) and RT (V2)

My question is: did DEC buy this from OMSI to (improve?) and include
in RSTS or was the DEC RT-11 environment created some other way
(either developed in-house or purchased from someone else)?  Does
anyone know the origins of the RT-11 emulation under RSTS?

Thanks,

John