RGB-VGA Converter -- buy or build?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 14:39:03 CDT 2010

> On 3/20/2010 1:38 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
> >>
> >   Ireally don't understand what you want to do. I understand you have a
> > 5160 with a CGA card, and you want to use it with something other than
> > the oriignal CGA monitor. My question is what is this 'something', what
> > inputs does it have _precisely_.
>
> I wish to connect a device to the CGA RGB output that will convert it to
> something I can capture into a computer.  Ideally that would be YCrCb as
> I have a betacam sp capture card that can do very nice 8/10/12-bit
> capture from an SD or HD source... but I'd settle for Y/C (s-video) at
> this point.

I would avoid S-vidoe, I suspect even with separate Y and C thare's a
possibility of of colour problems

SO what you actually want is Y (including composite sync), R-Y and B-Y?
Originally you were talking aobut analouge RGB.

I am also wondeiring if you could capture the digital data as it comes
out of the CGA card. It's not that high a data rate, and it seems rather
perverse to take digital signals, comvert them to analogue and then
redigitse them again.

[I find the VGA inoptu on our LCD TV to be a bit silly. The data sexists
in digitla form in the computer, you turn it into analogue signals to
fied to the TV, and then redigitse them for display. Why?]