Async logic

Alexey Toptygin alexeyt at freeshell.org
Mon Mar 22 14:52:36 CDT 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010, Brad Parker wrote:

> Now I will make one caveat.  A lot of the early DEC designs used pulse
> or asynchronous logic.  I would avoid that.  I would stick with
> completely synchronous design.  So, if you are reading an old book and
> it talks about async design, I'd skip that part.  Certainly anything
> from Mick & Brick on is fully synchronous.

What's wrong with pulse or async logic designs? I personally find them
fascinating, but I've never gotten to play with an implementation of
one... Are there problems with designing like this that made people switch
to sync designs? Anyone know of any good books on non-synchronous logic
design?

 			Alexey