Leaving computers on... (was Re: Disc analyser news update)

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.de
Thu Mar 25 15:18:43 CDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:17:09AM -0500, John Foust wrote:
> At 06:35 PM 3/24/2010, arcarlini at iee.org wrote:
> >Most modern drives support SMART ... and some of them (but not all)
> >even correctly count and report the number of power cycles.
> >UBCD has a range of disk diagnostic tools, modern Linux variants
> >have smarttools, you can track down any number of disk monitoring
> >tools for Windows.
>
> Lately I've been wondering about just how well SMART is monitored.
> Can the computer still read it if the drives are in a RAID?

That depends very much how the RAID is set up. With software RAID: no problem,
as the OS sees the raw disks. With hardware RAID it very much depends on the
RAID controller wether you can get access to the SMART data for individual
disks.

Regards,
      Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison