Hamurabi Focal source

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 15:26:27 CDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Michael Black <blackmd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a not entirely unrelated note to my last email, does anybody know
> where I can obtain the original Focal source code to the game
> Hamurabi?  I have a pdp-8e that I restored and have running Focal, but
> I have been unsuccessful in finding this classic game (apart from
> Ahl's Basic version.)

I have it on an original DECUS papertape, IIRC
(http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=cctalk&a=2004-01&m=144185 - yep... there
I am talking about it ;-)

You might be after DECUS tape FOCAL8-5 - "The Sumer Game"

The writeup is:

DECUS NO. FOCAL8-5

The Sumer Game

Doug Dyment, Digital Equipment of Canada, Ltd., Carleton Place, Canada

This is a simulation program/game which will run on a minimal PDP-8
system.  The economy of a Sumerian city in the year 3000 B. C. is
simulated in the fashion of a modern-day "business game."

I tried googling for DECUS papertapes online, but did not find
anything with a casual search.  The Wikipedia entry does echo the
credits for the original version to Doug Dyment
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamurabi), but doesn't have a link to
FOCAL code.

Perhaps someone on the list has a tar file full of digitized DECUS papertapes?

-ethan