scsi? port question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Nov 5 07:39:46 CDT 2010

On 11/4/10 11:58 PM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>     I thought all of the 5.25" SMD drives came out more than a decade
>> after that style of chassis would've been common.
>
> Really?  ISTR that chassis style was in vogue from about 1981-1986 or so.
>
> I'm not asserting that 5.25" SMD wasn't later, but I'm wondering about
> how much later.

   The least capacious 5.25" SMD drive I've seen was 1.2GB.  The drive
technology contemporary with that chassis style would have been in the
10-30MB range.  That's why I doubt it.  (no other reason really)

>> I'd really be
>> surprised if it were SMD, even if the 60/26-pin connectors would be a
>> huge coincidence.
>
> If it _is_ 60/26, I'd be surprised if it turned out to be something
> other than SMD.  I think it's not enough pins for an ISA extension,
> but that's another possibility.

   The rear of the chassis doesn't suggest that it's an ISA expansion
box; there are no slots.

> I'm mostly speculating about what fits the external appearance based
> on all sorts of products that were available at one point.  It really
> would help to know more about the internal cabling to make a more
> targeted guess.

   Agreed.

              -Dave

--