Amstrad 3in disc drive troubleshooting

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Nov 5 20:12:50 CDT 2010

On 6 Nov 2010 at 1:03, Philip Pemberton wrote:

> Yep. I think I might have the same schematics. Amstrad PCW 8256/8512
> Service Manual?

Got an 8256 here (those things should be as common as fleas in the
UK, I'd think.  Getting a 120V 60Hz one here was a little less easy).

I've installed two 720K (Teac FD235F) 3.5" drives, both to get
something that will work with available media and also to get more
storage.  The Joyce uses single-sided 3" disks.  With a simple one-
byte change in the boot sector, I can use larger 720K DSDD floppies.

But anyway, back to your problem.  About all I can verify right now
without hauling out the scope and screwdriver is that the activity
LED is normally about 1/3 brightness when not selected and that it
blinks briefly when power is first applied.

--Chuck