what was VMS/OpenVMS written in?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Nov 30 19:51:08 CST 2010

At 7:50 PM -0500 11/30/10, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Dennis Boone <drb at msu.edu> wrote:
>  > For 7.3ish VAX OS source proper (includes RTLs, but no translators or
>>  layered products), on VERY casual inspection, it looks like about 3000
>>  files of MACRO, 2900 of Bliss, 1400 of C, 155 of message definitions, 65
>>  of Fortran, 35 of Ada, 20 of command definitions, 10 of PL/1, 10 of
>>  Pascal, 5 of Uil, a few DCL.
>
>Sure.  I can see that.
>
>>  I can't find any COBOL, BASIC, MODULA, CORAL, DIBOL, etc.
>
>In 7.3, I'm sure that's now true.  I'm pretty sure I remember some
>COBOL and BASIC back in the 4.x and 5.x days, but I can't promise that
>my memory is 100% correct.

Ethan, I'm pretty sure your memory is correct.  Something else to
consider is just what does a source CD contain the source for?  I've
never seen one. :-(  But as I understand it, you have the basic OS,
some of the other components aren't included from what I've heard.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |