Evolution of the Apple Mouse

Charlie Carothers csquared3 at tx.rr.com
Sat Oct 2 11:16:56 CDT 2010

On 9/29/2010 3:25 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Somewhat on-topic and coincidental, EDN's "Prying Eyes" series looks
> at a nearly-40-year-old Sharp microwave oven and marvels at the
> simplicity and robust design.  What I gather from the article is that
> the oven still works fine:
>
> http://bit.ly/dA6bSM
>
> What's notable is the electromechanical timer.  How many microwave
> ovens made 20 years later with electronic controls are still
> functional?
>
> --Chuck

I can't really answer your question of course, but I can tell you that
we have a GE microwave purchased about 1987 with electronic controls
that still works just fine.  The logic power supply in it must have
minimal filtering, as we get the "PF" indication any time there is the
slightest power blip and when all other electronic clocks in the house
show no effect.

I do worry sometimes about all the appliances we have with IMHO
unnecessary electronics since we don't have a whole house surge
supressor.  e.g. Clothes washer and dryer, range, refrigerator.  The
only things we've ever lost that I think I can blame on surges are a
couple of telephones.  Those may have been telco line surges rather than
power line ones for all I know.
Later,
Charlie C.