iPad? Really? (was RE: Voice recognition will never kill the keyboard was: Re: Evolution)

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at lunar-tokyo.net
Mon Oct 4 10:32:44 CDT 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Tom Uban wrote:

> On 10/4/10 8:10 AM, Daniel Seagraves wrote:

>>> They could rule to world if only they could get past their smug sense of, "we know your needs better than you do"...
>>
>> Choice of device or operating system should be based on the intended user and workload required. It's not a religion. Saying "I am typing this on a mac..." to qualify bashing someone for their choice is like saying "I have a few black friends too..." to qualify racism. It's hollow and cliche and nobody believes it. You just sound like a dope to everyone except other people who share your bias.
>>
>> I have a Mac and it pays my bills. When I go home I run Windows for playing games. I have a Wii and a Playstation 3 and an iPhone, all of which are hacked for various reasons. Here at work we have many Windows machines and many Linux machines. Each item is picked for their intended task and workload. Some of these workloads are more clearly defined than others, and some of them exist just for entertainment value, but none of them is "better" than the others. You can't say with any sort of accuracy that device X is stupid and useless in all situations because you don't know every possible user/workload combination in existence. Nor can you say that item X is better than item Y in all respects for every workload because everything is designed differently by different people for different goals. It's like saying a crescent wrench is always better than a Vise Grip. They may look vaguely similar, they may have the same user in mind, but they were designed with two different tasks in mind, so trying to compare them and speak authoritatively about this comparison is flawed and intellectually dishonest.
>
> No, saying that I use products from the company that I'm criticizing means that I am not simply
> joining a bandwagon without experience. I was not "bashing" anybody for their choice, I was simply
> making my opinion known and primarily saying that I think that Apple could make their products,
> which are already pretty good, better.
>
> Clearly I implied that the choice is dependent on the user/use when I indicated that I use several.
>
> I think that I can quantify some amount of better by the fact that my mac, running three different
> operating systems has only frozen once on me whereas my PC running Windows has blue screened many
> times. Of course everyone's mileage varies depending on their use and application sets.
>
> Since when is posting ones experiences and views "flawed and intellectually dishonest"?
>
> Instead of tying your personal attacks to my comments, saying that I can and cannot do this or
> that, please start your own fresh comment on the topic...

Well, my post was more directed at the OP saying that the iPad is absolutely useless and braindamaged and would disappear in a couple years. I wasn't trying to attack you personally. If that was my intention I would have used your name and called you an idiot directly.

Posting ones views and experiences is all well and good, but you're desperately trying to compare Mac OS X to Windows on a 1:1 basis and it can't be done. One of them is a desperate last-ditch-resort port of OpenStep with "Save Apple at any cost!" as its only goal, and the other is an overgrown DOS shell swimming in an ocean full of sharks wearing a large weight made from decades of legacy code chained to its neck. Sure your Mac doesn't crash as often, but how often can you go to Wal-Mart and run the latest game on the shelf? How often can you open the complex VBA-macro-infested Excel spreadsheet your co-worker emails you, edit it, and send it back without garbaging it? What about throwing together an emergency machine for $500 using parts from the local PC junk shop? There's a multitude of things out there that only work on Windows, and if you have to trade off on reliability to achieve compatibility, then that's what you have to do. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Personally my view is that everything sucks in its own special way, and there is always room for improvement. My "improvement" may not be better for everyone else. Some things really bother me but not everyone else. I'd love it if the Apple Mail reply default was not top-posting, but everyone else in the office is too lazy to scroll to the bottom of a message for the new parts. How about fixing the bug where the wrong app gets focus when you switch Spaces? I think that irritates just about everyone who experiences it. There's always no shortage of issues to fix in any system. Apple is not unique in this regard.