3D (was: Voice recognition will never kill the keyboard was: Re:Evolutionof the Apple Mouse

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 12:30:41 CDT 2010

On 6 October 2010 17:52, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> Not everyone can see the 3D effect (and it's apparently a sizeable
> portion of the audience):
>
> http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/3d-tv-1.html
>
> For others, 3D viewing results in eyestrain and headaches.
>
> I'll happily take a well-made production with a good plot and acting
> any day to a "Bwana Devil" or "Cat-Women of the Moon".
>
> 3D motion pictures have been around for nearly a century.  Every once
> in awhile the technology is resurrected and then abandoned.
>
> Quality writing, production and acting is timeless.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, I was originally talking about 3D
videogames, not TV or movies.

It works quite well in the cinema - I saw Beowulf, Avatar and Coraline
in this format and it's highly effective, especially if not
gratuitously over-used.

On domestic TV, well, I am not so sure - I think people are more
likely to be multitasking TV-watching with other tasks, so neither
specs not a very rigid seating position would work.

But for computers and computer gaming, where people typically sit
right in front of the screen, unmoving, and 1 screen per person is the
rule, it seems to have far fewer technical obstacles. For console
gaming, not so much, but on the PC, I can see it catching on. Serious
gamers are already paying £300-£400 for dedicated 3D video cards, and
in many cases, pairs of them; the incremental cost of a special
monitor and glasses might be accepted readily.
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com